Saturday, March 28, 2015

Bible Challenge Day 76: Standing By Jesus (Luke 22)

“You are those who have stood by me in my trials” (22:28). That is what Jesus says to the disciples at the Last Supper. But it is an incredibly ironic verse. He has just announced that one will betray him (22:21). Then they dispute about who is the greatest (22:24), something they have done consistently since he began warning them about his coming death.

That is what immediately precedes this verse. What immediately follows it continues the pattern of failure. The next verse is his prediction that Peter will deny him (22:31). Then they all go to Gethsemane, where he instructs them to pray but they fall asleep (22:39f).

In the midst of all that, Jesus praises them for sticking by him, and goes on to promise that they will eat and drink at his table in God’s kingdom!

I have always taken perverse pleasure in the failure of the disciples because it enables me to see myself in them. And so I take great comfort in Jesus’ praise of these bumbling failures as ones who stand by him. I assume what he means is not that they succeed, but that they try. Peter is the great example. He follows Jesus to the courtyard of the high priest’s house, where Jesus is being “tried.” Peter denies Jesus. But he is there.

That seems a lot like me. Following as best I can. Failing when tested. But still trying to stay close by. Maybe I, maybe we, can hear Jesus’ promises to the disciples as directed to us too, despite our failures. Hopefully that can help us to keep trying to follow, even despite our failures.
Fr. Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment