Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Bible Challenge Day 80: Holy Violence (Joshua 7-9)

I had not planned to write anything during Holy Week, but I need to process my thoughts. I have always found Joshua to be the most troubling book in the entire Bible. Parts of other books trouble me, but always something inspires me as well. In Joshua, where virtually the entire book is about conquest, genocide, and expropriation, that is not as true.

I heard once that different ethnic groups in the United States during the nineteenth century typically responded to the story of Moses and Joshua in very different ways. Black people emphasized Moses the liberator who freed God’s enslaved people. White people emphasized Moses the lawgiver who established the (hierarchical) social order. Native Americans emphasized Joshua, the successor of Moses and the leader of an invading army which wiped out the native inhabitants of Canaan. I am guessing some Palestinians today would hear something similar. Sigh . . . .

The verse that particularly struck me today was 8:24-25: “When Israel finished slaughtering all the inhabitants of Ai in the open wilderness where they pursued them, and when all of them to the very last had fallen by the sword, all Israel returned to Ai, and attacked it with the edge of the sword. The total of those who fell that day, both men and women, was twelve thousand—all the people of Ai.” That is after Joshua’s troops killed every man, woman, and child in Jericho, along with all the oxen, sheep, and donkeys (6:21), and before they enslaved the Gibeonites, who survived only by deceit (chapter 9).

The lesson of Joshua is that God rewards the faithful people by honoring the covenant promises God made to Abraham. And there is a bright spot: Rahab, the Canaanite prostitute is spared because she recognizes the God of Israel. She then gets a cameo mention in the New Testament as part of the genealogy of Jesus (Matthew 1:5)! But this is not much good news in a pretty grim book.

One grand irony helps me a bit. The names Joshua and Jesus are very similar in Hebrew. The one I follow is not the fierce warrior but the prince of peace. This week, of all weeks, is a reminder that God suffers with and for us. God does not command genocide. Still, I struggle with what we are reading these days . . . .
Fr. Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment