Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Bible Challenge Day 43: Abomination? (Leviticus 18)


Eighteen chapters into Leviticus, I have not seen much material that is obviously relevant to the Christian life today. I have enjoyed some parts of the book for what they tell us about how ancient Israelites viewed the world. But the fact is, to the degree Leviticus has been interesting for me, the interest has been primarily historical. I have a hard time imagining how I might preach a sermon or lead a Lenten program based on what we have read in Leviticus so far.

But today we read one verse that does sometimes come up in contemporary debates about the Christian life: “You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination” (18:22).

In general, twenty-first century American Christians have clearly decided that the laws of Leviticus are no longer binding. In the Episcopal Church, in our three-year schedule of readings covering much of the Old Testament, we get only a single passage from Leviticus: love your neighbor as yourself (19:18). When we read in Leviticus about blood sacrifices or purity restrictions today, we assume that they are not binding on us. Reading Leviticus from the beginning has really driven that home for me.

I decided to do a word search to see what other things are called an abomination in the Hebrew Bible. The word in one or another of its forms appears in 112 verses. The one that most struck me was from Deuteronomy, where unclean foods are called an abomination. That includes things like shellfish and pork (14:3).

Given the general disregard that most Christians show Leviticus, I would say that the burden of proof lies on those who argue that 18:22 is relevant. My own position is that it is not. But that does leave me with another question: what is the value and authority of Leviticus for contemporary Christians? I am not comfortable simply dismissing a biblical book . . . .

Fr. Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment