Monday, February 9, 2015

Bible Challenge Day 29: The Law Again (Exodus 23)


Today we are getting into parts of the Old Testament that a lot of Christians do not know very well. I did not check, but I think that we do not read any part of today’s chapters from Exodus at any point in our three-year lectionary. And it is easy to see why. Why should we care about laws specifying what we should do when, for example, we come upon our enemy’s donkey or ox going astray (23:4)?

And yet I like this part of Exodus. I like the specificity of it all. God’s law addresses the very ordinary concerns of very ordinary people in that time. I will probably never come upon a lost donkey or ox—certainly I hope not! But I like the fact that God cares enough about ordinary folk to address concerns like that.

I also think there are lessons to be learned from the law if we take the trouble to translate it into more immediately relevant issues. We are told that, “when you see the donkey of one who hates you lying under its burden and you would hold back from setting it free, you must help to set it free (23:5). The specifics are not relevant to my life. But the general principle certainly is. If I see someone who needs help, I should help, even if I don’t really like the person.

In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus says, “You have heard that it was said, ‘you shall love your neighbor and hate your enemies.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies” (Matt 5:43-44). I have sometimes thought of that as Jesus updating and improving the Old Testament law. Don’t just love your neighbors like the Old Testament says. Love your enemies, too. But it turns out the Old Testament says to help your enemy help his donkey! It is like the Exodus law gives very specific content to Jesus’ command to love our enemies.

There remain troubling passages in the law, of course, including some we read for today. But what strikes me this morning are the good parts, so long as I do a little translation.

Fr. Harvey

1 comment:

  1. I agree about the specificity. It reminds me of the importance of the geneologies. Seems boring as we read them, but shows that each of us is known by God.

    ReplyDelete