Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Take The Bible Challenge: Read the Bible in a Year

Is this your year to read the Bible?  We'll be doing it together, here, using The Bible Challenge, edited by Marek Zabriskie.

If you wish to join us, pull out your Bible and get your hands on a copy of the book (available from Amazon, Barnes and Noble or Forward Movement).  Zabriskie has broken down the Bible into daily pieces -- some Old Testament, some New Testament, and some Psalms.  He also includes a daily meditation written by a church leader or scholar.  Each week (at least), we'll put up a post on this blog to start some conversation -- you will be able to join in the conversation via the comments.

We'll start next Monday (January 12) with Day 1.  If you'd like to join us, take a moment and add a comment now, so we know who's on board, and to make sure that you can comment if you wish.

If you have a problem, email me at wende.wheeler(at)gmail.com

Harvey and I are looking forward to reading the Bible with you this year!

Wende




7 comments:

  1. Just learned that the book is out of stock on Amazon and Barnes and Noble. It is available through Forward Movement, or you may wish to use a Kindle or Nook version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad we got ours!
    Karen and Wally

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to do this. But I don't have a Kindle. Any other suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. For anyone looking for the book, it's available from the publisher, Forward Movement, by clicking here: http://www.forwardmovement.org/Products/2114/the-bible-challenge.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to a "new learning experience" for me....I can check off another goal box.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am enjoying this version of reading the Bible in a year. I like the rhythm of the Old Testament, Psalms and New Testament each day. I got behind last week, so I am catching up this week. Though I have read these passages previously I am struck this time by the ease with which men pass off their daughters to other men, the willingness to deceive even your husband to get what you want - basically to do what ever is necessary to achieve your desired outcome. Did only the "true believers" - Abraham - have moral character and everyone else act as they saw fit?
    Sometimes I wonder if it is any different today?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, Janet. But even Abraham was a deceiver, passing off Sarah as his sister. I was also struck when reading about Jacob how many times the word "tricked" was used.

    ReplyDelete