Monday, January 26, 2015

Bible Challenge Day 13: Jacob again


One of the striking things about Jacob’s story is the way he negotiates with God. God blesses Jacob with the same blessing that God gave Abraham and Isaac (Gen 28:10f). Jacob’s reaction is the surprising thing. He doesn’t, for example, thank God. Instead he decides to wait and see. “If God will be with me and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat and clothing to wear, so that I come again to my father’s house in peace, then the Lord shall me my God” (Gen 28:20-21). If I were in God’s place, I would be a little irritated!

God does in fact do all those things. And when Jacob finally does return to his father’s house in peace, he returns to the place where he first received the blessing, has his household put away their foreign gods (only now! See 35:2) and dedicates himself to God. Sealing the deal, God blesses him again (35:11f).

All too often I am like Jacob—trying to make deals with God. But it seems better to trust God up front, as Abraham does, than to play the waiting game. I take comfort in the fact that God puts up with Jacob. And I wish I could do better than Jacob did!

Fr. Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment